Latest XFree86 v4.0 crashing (possible culprit sawmill)

Michel Dänzer daenzerm at student.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 28 16:17:14 EST 2000

root wrote:

> While switching desktops, X completely dies on me.  It's not
> consistently repeatable, but I've had to kill the programs it didn't
> pull with it enough times to know that something's wrong.
>
> That's all it's doing.  X dies when I'm switching desktops, either by
> dragging the mouse, or by clicking the desktop in the deskguide.

Just to be sure: Is this about "real" desktops or virtual desktops? AFAIK
mouse dragging only works to switch between virtual ones?

> Please tell me I'm crazy and that it isn't really happenning...

You're crazy and it isn't really happening. *grin*

Seriously, Sawmill isn't the culprit (Listen people: server crashes are
_never_ application bugs :) but it seems to point out this server bug better
than anything else.

If you could provide a gdb backtrace from a static server, that would be
great, otherwise you could send the log and other useful information either
here or maybe better to XFree86.

Michel