aty128 and offb and linux-2.3.99pre6

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Mon Apr 24 16:51:12 EST 2000

Hi all,

On  19 Apr, this message from Geert Uytterhoeven echoed through cyberspace:
> What about other frame buffer devices, like e.g. matroxfb? Does it still work
> after this patch? If yes, we can get rid of matrox_of_init() as well.

It does work... but it changes the order my fbs are detected. Grrr....
;-)

> I'd really like to get rid of all these:
>
>     s3triofb_init_of()
>     imsttfb_of_init()
>     chips_of_init()
>     matrox_of_init()
>     control_of_init()
>     valkyrie_of_init()
>     platinum_of_init()
>     clgen_of_init()
>
> These are all PCI based, so they can be found using PCI probing and marked
> busy using PCI resource management.

control is only PCI-based with some abstractions.... It can, however,
be made to look entirely like a PCI device, if you can avoid poking at
it afterwards.

I have patches for control anyway (adding it to the PCI device chain,
precisely); so I might try and implement the changes for control. Or
are you already working on this, Dan?

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |