Anyone running LinuxPPC2000+PCMCIA+WallStreet?

Mark S. Mathews mark at absoval.com
Tue Apr 18 00:20:12 EST 2000

Andreas,

May all your diodes never become friodes.  ;-)

The memory range was the problem.  I've dealt with pcmcia enough times, I
should know better.  Got too focused on compile-time options and forgot to
look at the run-time options.

We'll have to deal with the I/Os on a card by card basis.  Fortunately,
we're not dealing with any modems or serial cards.  Just single-function
network cards.

Thanks a million,
-Mark

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> Hi,
> "Mark S. Mathews" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > We're trying to run a LinuxPPC 2000 install on a WallStreet M4753 and
> > trying to get PCMCIA going.  Of course, we've had loads of trouble.  ;-)
> >
> > We've been trying with the pmac-2.2.15pre7 kernel and a variety of pcmcia
> > versions.  No matter what, we always get panics when inserting a card.
> >
> > At this point we're pretty sure the problem is in i82365 or cardmgr, not a
> > specific card driver.  We're not getting far enough to deal w/ a
> > specific driver.  We've tried a couple of network cards, including
> > some that aren't supported by pcmcia-cs at all (we were hoping for
> > 'successful' failure).
> >
> > Any recommendations?  We'll send .configs and such if anyone wants to see
> > them.
>
> what pcmcia-cs pkg are you running? The latest is now 3.1.14.
> Port and memory range in config.opts?
> Comment all memory ranges out except the 0x90000000-0x90ffffff.
> In the port range you have to play/figure out what's the best one for
> you.
> Some simple cards are happy with 0x0-0xfff, others need a higher range.
> E.g. 0x400-0x4ff or 0x1000-0x10ff
> or 0x100-0x1ff.
> Are you running PCMCIA or CardBus cards?
> Are modems involved?
>
> Andreas

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Software     Web:    http://www.absoval.com
P.O. Box 941149            e-mail: mark at absoval.com
Maitland, FL 32794-1149    Phone:  407.644.8582
USA                        Fax:    407.539.1294