Install on a Pismo (going bad)

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Wed Apr 5 11:46:24 EST 2000

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 11:19:52PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Drive Setup is buggy, it should be OpenSource ;)

very, and i have found that its bugginess surfaces much more when you
try and create non-macos partitions with it, my attempts to do so
resulted in crashes, corrupted partitions tables and other such
nastiness. (and `initialization failed' errors on what i know to be
good disks) so i have simply adopted the standard practice of using
each OS's native fdisk to create its partitions, ie use drive setup to
create macos partitions and mac-fdisk to create linux partitions.

what i tell people to do if they need to share a disk wtih macos is
first use drive setup to create 2 HFS partitions. the first being the
total size of all the linux partitions the user wants to create.  (say
they want 64MB / 1GB /usr 1GB /var 2GB /home, they would make the
first HFS partitions 5060MB)  then delete that partition with
mac-fdisk (aka pdisk under linux) and create the linux partitions
inside the newwly created `hole'

this seems reasonable to me, every single other OS/arch i have used
says to do this: BSD says use linux's `braindamaged' fdisk for its
partitions and BSD's fdisk for BSD partitions, linux says use DOS
fdisk for DOS partitions and its fdisk for linux partitions etc.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/