XFree86-3.3.5-1.6.0b

Neil Jolly njolly at home.com
Sun Sep 26 14:49:47 EST 1999

Tom Rini wrote:

> Hello again all.
>
> I've uploaded XFree86-3.3.5-1.6.0b rpms to
> ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/trini/XFree86-3.3.5
> If you installed 3.3.5-1.6.0a, and use FBDev, you only need to update that
> particular RPM.  If you use Xpmac, nothing should have changed.  This

Tom: I installed XFree86-FBDev-3.3.5-1.6.0b only as directed, ran
Xconfigurator, and configured 8 bit, 16 bit, and 24 bit. I checked XF86Config
and it was configured for 8 bit, 15 bit, and 24 bit depths. Testing worked
fine in 8 bit, starting X with startx --  -bpp 16 worked ( wasn't sure if I
should use 15 or 16), and startx --  -bpp 24 also worked, but was quite
distorted. Sort of like looking through a kaliedoscope with 4 quadrants -
kind of reminded me of the 70s ;-). Running Xconfigurator & stting up only a
16 bit mode, or only a 24 bit mode would cause X to fail with a default 8 bit
mode not configured (more or less) message. I've gone back to the first rpm
now, but Ill try anything else you can suggest.

--
Neil Jolly
(with Yoda-like voice)