New booter

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Sat Sep 18 02:07:51 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:47:15 +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <bh40 at calva.net> wrote:

> Back to miBoot, I'll try to get it working first (it seems to work but
> the kernel hangs, I don't know why yet and I won't have time to look into
> this until this week-end). It doesn't solve all the problems since making
> bootable CDs (which is my main goal for now) requires a valid driver on
> the CD (only MacOS Toast can do that to my knowledge) and using this
> trick to boot from the HD also requires a valid MacOS driver on the disk.
>
> I do have some plans to extend the mecanism further and make a CD driver
> to avoid relying on Toast and eventually a hard disk driver too (I do
> have a prototype SCSI driver but this requires licenced patches from
> Apple to make something really useable).

I think the latest mkhybrid <ftp://ftp.ge.ucl.ac.uk/pub/mkhfs/> has provisions
for installing a boot driver, but it's highly experimental yet. You'd still
need the driver itself, also.

Thanks for your efforts,
							Derek

--
Derek Homeier                                           Tel: +49-431-880-4103
Institut fuer Theoretische Physik und Astrophysik       Fax: +49-431-880-4100
D-24098 Kiel, Germany		      email:  homeier at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de