missing space on ext2fs scsi drive

Hollis R Blanchard hollis+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 15 06:02:12 EST 1999

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Timothy Wall wrote:

> Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Timothy Wall wrote:
> > >
> > > I've run into an odd problem that I'm not quite sure how to diagnose.
> > >
> > > My root partition  (a 2Gb partition on an 8Gb drive) shows (with "df")
> > > around 55% usage (2203440 1k-blocks, a little over half used) and yet
> > > fails complaining that the disk is full.   I don't recall exactly how I
> > > partitioned the disk (probably pdisk).
> > >
> > > Is my ext2fs accounting screwed?  Why does the FS think there is no
> > > space when writing, but show space with "df" ?
> >
> > Run 'df -i'. This shows you your inode usage. Full, isn't it? Time to
> > backup, reformat (with mke2fs), and reinstall.
>
> Yup, that's the problem.  It seems the installer short-inoded me.

Yeah. The problem (I hear) is that just running mke2fs on a large hard drive
from the installer will lock up machines will less than very large amounts of
RAM. Although now that I think about it, if you're able to run mke2fs by hand
and it works fine, maybe there really isn't a problem. What are your system
specs, and can you run mke2fs sans arguments without problem?

-Hollis