A question about zImage when booting from HD

Matt Porter mporter at mcg.mot.com
Tue Sep 14 08:10:56 EST 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Simone Piccardi wrote:

> I'm using /dev/sda3 to boot, but I tried anyway to zero it to see if
> something change, but without success. I give a dd if=/dev/zero
> of=/dev/sda3 count=100 and then I copied again zImage in the partition,
> but the result was the same of before.
>
> Before erasing all my system I would like to be sure that if I use
> /dev/sda1 it will work. My board is a MVME2432 with a MPC101 PCI
> mezzanine card.

I've had problems in the past with some Powerstack systems not being able
to boot a PReP image from anything other than /dev/sda1....since then I've
been recommending everybody just install the image to sda1 and root from
sda2.

I tried to recreate you problem because I didn't think it existed on our
newer PowerPlus systems.  I slapped a PMC101 in a MVME2431 in the rack and
installed Debian/PowerPC to it with sda1->swap, sda2->root, and
sda3->prepboot with no problems.  It made the system automatically
bootable from sda3 and a "pboot 10 40" (disk on SCSI ID 4) booted up.

Can you post a dump of your partition table on the disk plus the first 1k
of the image?  I have seen the error before somewhere but I think that was
on a byte swapped IDE system the PPCBUG couldn't read...SCSI doesn't have
that problem..bad bad IDE.

--
Matt Porter                                   Motorola Computer Group
mporter at mcg.mot.com                           CIBU Linux Support