SCSI host detected, but not the drive

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Mon Sep 6 19:24:01 EST 1999

	Hi,

For MVME people, I have set up a few files  on my server (vlab1.iram.es) a
couple of files which you might find useful:

 zImage.nfsinstall-2.2.11
 mini-nfsroot.tgz

(although the 'mini' prefix is optimistic). It gives you a minimal
filesystem from which you can boot and will find boot into a shell.

Then you can remount you root file system rw, and start installing all
the rpms your need from LinuxPPC release 5 (not R4 please)! On the server,
you first have to pull the RPMS from an R5 mirror into
/mini-nfsroot/usr/src/redhat/... for example

I know at least one person who has already used it so setup his system.
The image can also be copied verbatim with cp -a onto an already
partitioned SCSI disk (I forgot to add fdisk/cfdisk to the mini-nfsroot).

However, note that I'm right now upgrading the server to LinuxPPC-R5 so it
might not be permanently online during the next few days.

This is the list of rpms I have added to get a usable system (probably not
all are necessary):

rootfiles-5.2-5
etcskel-2.0-1
findutils-4.1-31
SysVinit-2.74-11
gzip-1.2.4-14
tcp_wrappers-7.6-7
netkit-base-0.10-29a
telnet-0.10-27
net-tools-1.52-1
slang-1.2.2-4
util-linux-2.9o-13b     conficts with bash on a man page, use --force.
rmt-0.4b4-7
tar-1.12-9
MAKEDEV-2.5-1
less-340-1
bzip2-0.9.0c-1
ftp-0.10-22
libstdc++-2.9.0-12c     }
gdbm-1.7.3-19           }
tcsh-6.08.00-5a         } These 5 packages are needed by man !
perl-5.00503-2          }
groff-1.11a-9           }
man-1.5g-2
newt-0.40-9
timeconfig-2.7-1
tmpwatch-1.7-1
crontabs-1.7-6
utempter-0.5-1
pciutils-1.99.5-2
readline-2.2.1-5
python-1.5.1-10
pythonlib-1.22-5
glint-2.6.2-1a
gd-1.3-5
procinfo-16-3
psmisc-18-2
time-1.7-9
byacc-1.9-11
m4-1.4-12
autoconf-2.13-5
automake-1.4-4
binutils-2.9.1.0.990418-1c
bison-1.27-3
diffstat-1.25-7
diffutils-2.7-16
bash-doc-2.03-3a
man-pages-1.23-3
rhl-install-guide-en-6.0-2      To make installs easier next time ?
texinfo-3.12f-4
vim-common-5.3-7
vim-minimal-5.3-7               Because it runs from /bin.
kbdconfig-1.9.2-1a              I have a Spanish keyboard !
passwd-0.58-1                   Install this.
authconfig-1.8-1                Install and run to use shadow passwords.
getty_ps-2.0.7j-7               Needed for serial console.
ntsysv-1.0.6-1
timetool-2.5-5                  Actually useless, clock is designed for PMACs
bind-utils-8.2-6

After this you'all at least have to change your initdefault to 3 in
/etc/fstab. You'll have other problems too but I forgot to write down
other steps while installing this system :-(.

Note that you can also edit files only from the server on nfsroot systems.
Actually I plan to build minimal nfsroot systemns for farms of VME crates
used for data acquisition in a radiotelescope. But it's still a few weeks
in the future.

	Regards,
	Gabriel.