PPC scr_{read,write}w() cleanup (fwd)

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Fri Oct 29 17:22:40 EST 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Cort Dougan wrote:
> The problem here is with the common build where we build in both vgacon and
> fb.

What's the problem there? If vgacon is enabled, scr_write() will be writew(),
i.e. little endian. But since scr_readw() == readw() is little endian as well,
it'll work fine.

Or am I missing something?

> I'm willing to switch PReP to fb entirely if it's reasonable that it will
> work on all PReP boxes.  Any suggestions?

I don't think it will work on all PReP boxes yet. There's no frame buffer
device for S3 [89]6[48] yet :-(

> } Does this work on your boxes? I really like to have this fixed.
> }
> } Finally I found some time to sort out the PPC scr_{read,write}w() mess.
> } Now scr_{read,write}w() always swaps bytes if {vga,mda}con was compiled in,
> } while we did a runtime check before.
> }
> } This patch matters specifically for people with PReP boxes, who may want to use
> } vgacon on one head and a real frame buffer device on either a second head or on
> } the first head after boot up (insmod *fb.o takes over vgacon).

    [...]

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--