LCD stretching partially working!

Josh Huber huberj at WPI.EDU
Fri Oct 29 02:46:07 EST 1999

I'm working on getting hardware stretching for the Rage LT chipset
(wallst. & lombard at least), and have got this far:

In console mode:
1. Stretching in the vertical direction works
2. stretching in the horiz direction works
3. doing both at the same time appears to work...except for a little
   screen flicker. (what could cause this?)

In X, strange things happen, to say the least.

Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge with both X and the ATI
video driver would like to take a look at my code...try it out, etc?

Attached are the following files:
aty.h.diff	 /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/aty.h patch
atyfb.c.diff	 /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/atyfb.c patch
lcdtest.c	 user space program for manipulating the registers

The driver files must be patched (they add a couple ioctls for
accessing the LCD_INDEX and LCD_DATA registers), the kernel
recompiled...just restart after putting the new kernel in.

BTW, the .diff files are against paul's latest stable tree (2.2.13) as
of 2 days ago.  They'll probably work on an older one too.

Change line 80 and 81 in lcdtest.c to either 0 or 1 to enable/disable
stretching in either the H or V direction. lcdtest.c will print out
the relevant registers (3 of them), enable stretching, wait for 3
seconds, and switch back to the previous values. This is good when
your whole screen gets messed up.

To really try this out, first do:
# fbset 640x480-60

to switch modes, then run the lcdtest program.

right now it's hard-coded for both a 1024x756 LCD panel, and a 640x480
target res.

If you have any ideas, etc, feel free to email me or the list (I'm on
it)

Josh