The New iMac

hollis at andrew.cmu.edu hollis at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 12 06:42:25 EST 1999

Jules Bean wrote:

> I'm pondering buying myself a new computer, and the iMac is one of the
> choices.  It has considerable advantages for me (easy portability, no
> fan), but I certainly don't want something which can't run Linux.

Tell that to leadership at apple.com. Seriously. Everyone who is in the
same situation should tell Apple. That's the only way they'll take Linux
seriously.

> On the other hand, I'm very happy to work on getting Linux to run on it
> (once I've got one) - I know my way around C and have some experience
> prodding around kernels and booting machine off serial consoles.
>
> Has anyone got any information about how hard it's going to be to get
> Linux running on the iMac's, and whether anyone in particular is planning
> to work on it?  (I imagine the linuxppc.com people will be keen to, if
> it's anything like as successful piece of hardware as the original iMac).

I think there are plenty of developers who would be interested. Right
now the biggest obstacle is availability - no one has them yet. In two
months, *then* the obstacle will be the technical details.

-Hollis