[Fwd: Voodoo3 support]

hollis at andrew.cmu.edu hollis at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 4 16:56:20 EST 1999

(Posted to wrong list.)
Anyone have a Voodoo 3?

-Hollis

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Voodoo3 support
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:31:32 -0700
From: Michael Greer <mgreer at skinnydesign.com>
To: linuxppc-user at lists.linuxppc.org

After exchanging a few messages with Daryll Strauss (the 3DFX Linux
wizard), I now know that no Linux support for Voodoo3 exists for the
PPC platform. There are drivers for V3 in the 3.3.5 and 3.9.19
versions of XFree86, and they will compile, but evidently some
byte-swapping has to be done to get the V3 and PPC to talk properly.
He says that someone is working on it for 3.9.16 and it might be out
in the next beta, but that he has been in contact with a few PPC
developers and none have followed up on his suggestions for kernel
support. He claims it would be rather easy to implement.
	I am not a programmer, so I can't do this, but is anyone out
there working on V3 support for the PPC? The MacTell cards should be
out soon, so I imagine we will be swarmed with V3 PPC users. I just
bought a PC PCI card and use the 3DFX Mac drivers, and I love it, but
I would love for my Linux to run just as fast.

	thanks, Mike
  S K I N N Y         Michael Greer
http://www.skinnydesign.com
  D E S I G N         mgreer at skinnydesign.com