dead code removal

Jim Reekes reekes at kerbango.com
Thu Nov 25 12:10:03 EST 1999

I have a little program that contains a routine DummyFunc() which is
never reference in the code. Building this single source file in any way
I've tried results in a binary which contains DummyFunc(). Using nm and
objdump, as far as I can determine GCC 2.95 does not dead-code strip.
(which I find amazing!). So I have two questions.

Am I missing something and GCC actually does dead-code stripping?

 - or -

How can I find unused/unreferenced symbols in my code so that I can bury
the dead code manually?

Jim

P.S. I have always compared programming to ditch digging, and now I'm
convinced.