linux 2.2.8/2.2.9 oddities

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue May 18 07:35:34 EST 1999

   Is anyone else seeing oddities in the graphics of Linux 2.2.8
and 2.2.9 on G3s? Under the new Reference Release 1.0, the supplied
Linux 2.2.6 kernel works fine however when I build either 2.2.8
or 2.2.9 from the kernel sources I have the following problem.
When using bootx with the kernel flags below...

video=atyfb:vmode:13,cmode=1 adb_buttons=1

...which always as worked fine in the past, the video comes up
with the console text shifted over by about 4/5ths to the right
of the screen and wrapped around from the left. It would seem
that something is broken now in atyfb.
                Jack