LinuxPPC-DR-1.0: Some questions

Dan Burcaw dburcaw at terraplex.com
Sat May 15 06:32:56 EST 1999

> > On Fri, 14 May 1999, Martin Costabel wrote:
> > >
> > > Now that DR-1.0 is officially released (great work, thank you!), I have
> > > some questions concerning its list of rpms:
> >
> > Um, so what is this DR-1.0? Almost R5? There's no announcement about it
> > anywhere...

There isn't an announcement on linuxppc.com if that's what you're looking
for. The Reference Release is not a product by LinuxPPC, Inc. Like the
press release says (www.crashing.org), the reference release was developed
by people around the world and is intended to be used as a basis for the
various PPC Linux distributions. This ensures compatibility across the
board... which is a Good Thing (tm).

> Read http://www.crashing.org/pressrel.txt, and since this thing comes
> with surprisingly much documentation, also
> ftp://silver.teardrop.org/pub/linux/README.orig (well, I wanted to give
> you the ftp.linuxppc.org file name, it's something like
> pub/linuxppc/linuxppc-dev-rel/README, but I can't get on this server
> right now; the other linuxppc.org mirrors are probably filling their
> linuxppc-dev-rel trees.)
>
> As far as I can tell, this is the basis for LinuxPPC R5 (no netscape
> yet) and probably for yellowdog champion-server 1.1 and other
> distributions. Its rpms are based on RedHat 6.0 and basically the same
> that you find in the rawhide directories at mirror.linuxppc.org and
> linuxppc.slackers.cx, and also in the pre-R5 directories.
>
> It comes with plenty of installer stuff for different machines, mklinux
> and linuxppc, scripts for generating 2 CDs, the RedHat handbooks for
> installing and getting started, plus a ppc addendum for these handbooks
> (all handbooks in html format and also as rpms). This addendum is in
> some parts not quite finished. It is online on
> ftp://silver.teardrop.org/pub/linux/doc/ppc/booklet/index.htm.
>
> I also thought that there was a linuxppc-announce list for such things

I think a lot of people would have taken that for "R5" perhaps...
This release is intended for developers. It's a straight port of RH 6
that's been in the works for quite some time now...

> :-)
>
> --
> Martin

Dan