LinuxPPC-DR-1.0: Some questions

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 15 04:54:34 EST 1999

Hollis R Blanchard wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Martin Costabel wrote:
> >
> > Now that DR-1.0 is officially released (great work, thank you!), I have
> > some questions concerning its list of rpms:
>
> Um, so what is this DR-1.0? Almost R5? There's no announcement about it
> anywhere...

Read http://www.crashing.org/pressrel.txt, and since this thing comes
with surprisingly much documentation, also
ftp://silver.teardrop.org/pub/linux/README.orig (well, I wanted to give
you the ftp.linuxppc.org file name, it's something like
pub/linuxppc/linuxppc-dev-rel/README, but I can't get on this server
right now; the other linuxppc.org mirrors are probably filling their
linuxppc-dev-rel trees.)

As far as I can tell, this is the basis for LinuxPPC R5 (no netscape
yet) and probably for yellowdog champion-server 1.1 and other
distributions. Its rpms are based on RedHat 6.0 and basically the same
that you find in the rawhide directories at mirror.linuxppc.org and
linuxppc.slackers.cx, and also in the pre-R5 directories.

It comes with plenty of installer stuff for different machines, mklinux
and linuxppc, scripts for generating 2 CDs, the RedHat handbooks for
installing and getting started, plus a ppc addendum for these handbooks
(all handbooks in html format and also as rpms). This addendum is in
some parts not quite finished. It is online on
ftp://silver.teardrop.org/pub/linux/doc/ppc/booklet/index.htm.

I also thought that there was a linuxppc-announce list for such things
:-)

--
Martin