iMac + IrDA

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue May 11 11:01:19 EST 1999

Gerd Knorr <kraxel at goldbach.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Anyone tried to use the IrDA port of the Rev. A+B iMacs?  According to the
> IrDA people I should see some packages coming in if I look at the port
> while some other IrDA device tries to connect.  But I see nothing with
> minicom.

I did some investigation of the IrDA port on my iMac using an
oscilloscope.  It appears that to get the IrDA codec to start
receiving, you need to send a series of pulses on the DTR, RTS and TxD
lines.  I don't have the details handy.  I didn't get very far because
the only other IrDA implementation I had was macos on my powerbook
3400, which crashes whenever I try to make an IrDA connection to it.

Paul.