modifying boot loader

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Tue Mar 30 18:13:29 EST 1999

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Dave Weis wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, David Edelsohn wrote:
> >       I doubt LinuxPPC will work on a 601-based machine.  The PPC601 was a
> > POWER architecture chip with PowerPC user instructions added.

But with a PowerPC MMU, which is the important point.

> Based on what I read in the source, they are supported. I guess I'll find
> out in a bit.

Watch out for instructions that try to access HID0, like flushing the
caches, which is very different on 601. I remember seeing various places
(and suggesting some fixes) where accesses to HID0 were not protected with
a check of the processor type. But it was several months ago and I don't
know if all such problems have been fixed now.

This was my $0.02 tip of the day.

	Gabriel.