What a day for linuxppc!

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Mar 11 19:26:30 EST 1999

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Nathan> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Martin Costabel wrote:
>
> >> 1) The 2.2.3 kernel from Linus. Unfortunately it doesn't compile on PPC,
> >> because Paul's semaphore patches didn't make it. The semaphore patches
> >> for Alpha are there, though, and they are not older, so why is this so?
>
> Nathan> because linus isn't interested in ppc(read, he doesn't have one).
> Nathan> %sigh%  Someone should donate a good machine to him(listening IBM?).
>
> 	Why doesn't someone find out why the patches are not being
> accepted instead of guessing.  I do not believe that Linus and the core
> team operate this way.

The main problem consists of two parts:

  - Linus get tons of mails and tend to miss some patches (he's human)
  - there's no way to find out whether he accepted your patch or not, until the
    next (pre)release. If we would always get acks (I got an ack for my last
    bunch of video patches, though), life would be much easier.

Greetings,

						Geert

Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be