fixes in glibc ??

Keith Clayton kclayton at jps.net
Tue Mar 2 08:29:54 EST 1999

You're right, I do read a bit too much /. <g>

I'm glad to hear glibc2.1 is still alive and well.  I assumed (yes I
know the saying around "assume" though I didn't follow it in this case .
. smile . .) that gnu had much more of a say in glibc's distribution
than it appears (it being the gnu C library) . . especially when Jason
wrote about glibc2.1 being pulled.  So, I apologize for any FUD I've
stirred into the mix.

One thing I did want to bring out with this though, is that
Linux/PPC.com (that include you Tom, right?) is in many cases dealing
with situations that aren't totally under its control.  Glibc
development, while facilitated by those of you at linuxppc.com working
on glibc, is not totally in your hands.  You guys don't necessarily have
the final say as to when its ready for prime time or not.  I've got a
spare hd right now begging for r5 but I strongly respect linuxppc.com's
desire to ship a product that works right (ooo. . novel concept . .
apple . . m$ are you listening?).  If I needed it that bad, I could grab
pre-r5 or, for that matter, cobble together my own system.

So, I guess in my usual longwinded way, my point beyond glibc2.1 was
that r5 is not a completely inhouse type project, ala Apple or M$.
Schedules are not determined by linuxppc.com but rather by progress on
the various projects by the community as a whole.  We all need to keep
that in mind while we "wait patiently" for r5.

Keith Clayton
kclayton at jps.net