Problems with the atyfb driver on Power Mac G3

Kevin Puetz puetz at penguinpowered.COM
Wed Jun 30 12:58:10 EST 1999

1st thing for both of you (and other users) - STAY AWAY FROM 2.3.x UNLESS
YOU KNOW WHY YOU ARE MOVING TO IT!

this is a _developmental_ branch. It has the potential (and some likelyhood)
to corrupt hard drives occasionally, and otherwise behave erratically at
several points along the way. If you are intending to develop - great. But
if you are a user (like me) who wants to use the system reliably, follow the
2.2.x revisions (currently 2.2.10). Odd minor-numbered versions of Linux are
in a state of flux, and are not necessarily even going to compile
(structural changes may be being distributed for driver authors to work
against while drivers are worked on).

Now, the ? files are not a sign of already done damage. They are harmless
(created by a bug in gmc, the gnome file manager) and can be deleted or
ignored.

On a happier note, I checked out 2.2.10 today (use -rlinux_2_2 if you use
cvs to switch branches), and built it, and the dancing pixels and other
artifacts are gone (on a rev 1 G3 desktop with Rage II+, but I had the same
symptoms, so maybe the same fix will help).

I think 2.2.10 has the mach64 work from 2.3.6 backported into it w/o the
other potential problems

|            .-'''''-.       Kevin Puetz                             |
|         :   =/_/      :    kp11901 at cedarnet.org -preferred         |
|        :   _/ |        :   Kevin.Puetz at 039-server.pls.uni.edu      |
|       (\  /  ,|        :   webmaster at 039-server.pls.uni.edu        |
|     _/~`~`""~`"` \_ .'  "Could you please continue the petty       |
|  __/  -'/  `-._ `\_\__   bickering?  I find it - most intriguing." |
|/     /-'`  `\   \  \-.\    --Data, STTNG, "Haven"                  |