Problems with the atyfb driver on Power Mac G3

Michael R. Zucca mrz5149 at acm.org
Wed Jun 30 11:30:03 EST 1999

At 8:44 PM -0400 6/29/99, Eric Dorland wrote:
>Through playing with the mclk and pll arguments (mclk:68,pll:200) I can
>reduce the amount of "pixel dancing", but when there is a lot of movement
>on the screen it is still quite noticable. I got these values from sheer
>experimenting, and could be slowing cooking my chip for all I know.

I'm experiencing the same problem on my PowerCenter 132 with my ATI VR-Pro.
I have a feeling that there is a bug in the Rage-Pro support.

I've also had trouble with the acceleration causing garbage on the screen
in 16 bit mode when I drag windows.

It's entirely possible that we don't have the memory layout quite correct
or something. To add insult to injury I also have an Adaptec Ultra SCSI PCI
card and a 4 Gig drive that Linux is booting off of. I've had some random
files show up like "?:" including the quote characters. Maybe there are
deeper PCI problems or is this just a bug in the Adaptec driver? (With a
the R5 2.2.6 kernel and a 2.3.6 custom compile).

I've been meaning to look into the code but I haven't had the time. Anybody
have some clues? My card *used* to work under 2.1.24 when I added the
support to the original driver ;-)