PowerBook sleep, first try

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at mvista.com
Thu Jun 24 02:23:37 EST 1999

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Kevin Puetz wrote:

> Cool! Is there any hope of this working on the desktop machines that can
> sleep? (I like my machine getting quiet when not in use, though I can live
> without.).

A desktop sleep is pretty different from a PowerBook sleep.  When a
desktop machine is asleep, it can still services network requests, and is
essentially still running, it just shuts a few things down.  The key there
is to figure out how to spin down and spin up the hard drive without
getting confused by the long delay on data access.  Then, when you do a
desktop sleep, you just cut the video sync, spin down the drives, and set
it up so that if there's any access to the drive, you spin it up long
enough to do the access, then wait a few seconds for the access to finish,
then spin back down.  Presumably, there's other stuff dealing with the
ADB, as far as shutting down other unused hardware and putting the
processor in a low speed setting or something, but I have no idea there.
Somebody else with actual cuda knowledge could probably say more in that
department.

Later,
David