a question

Akiko Tanaka tanak002 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Sun Jun 20 00:31:15 EST 1999

I've been tryint to install Linux (downloaded from
mklinux.apple.com/pub site) on my Mac (power Mac 5400), but it seems
like I don't know the basics that the READ ME's and your FAQ's don't
explain, and am having trouble for hours.  The problem I have is the
"bootstrap cannot find configuration file" message that I get, which
seems to be a common problem.  But, I think my problem is that I Don't
know how to do "4) Place the "mach_servers" folder at the top level
(ie. not on the desktop)
   of a suitable volume on your Mac."  Am I supposed to put
"mach_server" folder inside the patrition for MacHFS when I look at
through the pdisk?  How do you do that?  I just don't know how to put
things above the desktop level.

Also, if I manage to put it where it's supposed to go and edit the
line in lilo.conf, am I supposed to just put rootdev=/dev/hda (or
ata0.0) or whatever, or supposed to write
/dev/boot_device/mach_servers/bootstrap.conf, which comes up in the
error message when I try to boot it?  Also, it seems that I have to
specify a patition when I do this.  How do I do that?  If the
patrition # in pdisk is 5, do I put rootdev=/dev/hda/5 or hda5? or
what?  If it's ata0.0, does it become ata0.5 or ata0.0/5 or some other
kind of way?

Please Help!!

Akiko Tanaka
tanak002 at gold.tc.umn.edu