860T Cooling problem

RTHEANDE rtheande at dscc.dk
Fri Jul 30 02:43:59 EST 1999

     Hi there,

     Anyone with a 860T (50 MHz) board. How hot is the CPU supposed to be?
     Is extra cooling needed?

     My specific problem is that the kernel is _very_ unstable at normal
     near idle operation. The CPU is not that hot - you can touch it
     without problems. It looks like RAM problems, but when the CPU is
     cooled down (cooling spray or _big_ heatsink), the problems go away.

     I have to mention that the CPU in question has suffered 5V Vcc for a
     time by accident (shorted power planes...)

     The question: is it normal for these things to run hot and need
     external cooling to work or has the 5V experience damaged it?

     TIA,

     Robin.