G3 Upgrade Questions....

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Thu Jul 29 22:55:18 EST 1999

On 29 Jul 1999, Stefan Berndtsson wrote:

> Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> > > On my Lombard/333 I get:
> > >
> > > # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > > processor       : 0
> > > cpu             : 750
> > > temperature     : 0 C
> > > clock           : 333MHz
> > > revision        : 130.2
> > > bogomips        : 333.41
> > > zero pages      : total 0 (0Kb) current: 0 (0Kb) hits: 0/256 (0%)
> > > machine         : PowerBook1,1
> > > motherboard     : PowerBook1,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> > > L2 cache        : 512K unified
> > > memory          : 64MB
> > >
> > > so either it's reporting things wrong for me, or 750 doesn't always score 2/MHz.
> >
> > Since the 750 is derived from the 603e, it scores 1 bogomips per MHz. The 604e
> > does 2 bogomips per MHz.
>
> That's not true either.. a friends G3/300 (some stationary thing), reports 601.xx
> bogomips.. unless something's screwed with _that_ setup.

Can't alignment of the BogoMips loop affect this timing loop ? It does
on 603e AFAICT.

OTOH, the 750 is only loosely based on the 603e. It's much faster on tight
loops because it has dynamic branch prediction (which does not help much
in this case) and an associated branch target cache which holds the first
2 instructions at the target of a branch (which is very important in this
case). However my 200MHz 603e report 133 BogoMIPS (2/3 of clock
frequency).

	Gabriel.