some progress: opening display /platinum at F8000000... failed

Paul Barrette barretp at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Mon Jul 19 05:51:53 EST 1999

Ok, I compiled my old kernel src, 2.2.2 and loaded it in the approp. place.
I used my old OF settings that booted fine with kernel 2.2.2  on R4.   I
compiled with the same .config file (after a make mrproper).

NB it gave me the same problem! opening display /platinum at F8000000... failed
However, at least the kernel boots with a nasty screen, and boots fine
screen and all from bootx.  So this suggests that 2.2.6-15 has some boot
issues concerning the 7200.

here is the quik.conf:
root = /dev/sda5
timeout = 300

#kernel 2.2.2 (ipmasq,3com eth cards,autofs) with fixed vram, no bootx
settings!
image = /boot/vmlinux-1
        label = linux
        alias = 1
        append="/boot/vmlinux-1  root=/dev/sda5
video=platinumfb:vmode:12,cmode:8"
<<
I tried boot-file empty and with the append line above, same result.  I
think there is some kind of boot enabler or something in R5 that is
different from R4.

ARe there any new OF issues for R5?

--
Paul Barrette
Ph.D. candidate, dept. of Classics

umbra loco deerat; qua postquam parte resedit
Dis genitus vates et fila sonantia movit,
umbra loco venit.                  (Ov. Met. 10. 88 ff.)
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~barrette/