Serial Ports on USB

Charles A. Jolley charles.jolley at zeratec.com
Sat Jul 10 03:27:39 EST 1999

Hi all:
    I know I can get a Serial Port-to-USB adapter (from Keyspan) but is this
device supported by linux?  I am developing a new PowerPC-based operating
system kernel right now (not based on Linux sources) and up until this point
I have just connected via serial ports to access my debugger and get capture
reports from the kernel.  I am now needing to upgrade my development
workstation and I would like to upgrade to an iMac or B&W G3, but only if I
can still connect to the test workstation.  Is there anyway that I can do
this?

    And while I'm on this topic, I would really like to get my kernel
booting on an iMac, but I'm not sure how to access my debugger, etc. without
having video, keyboard, or serial support.  How was this done when getting
LinuxPPC up on the iMac?

-Charles