PowerPC assembly question

Charles A. Jolley charles.jolley at zeratec.com
Fri Jul 9 04:37:36 EST 1999

There are two main ABI's that I have consulted in the past regarding how
Linux handles linking, etc. on the PowerPC.  The primary one is the
PowerOpen ABI, which describes many of the general register usage
conventions.  The other is the "System V ABI, PowerPC Processor Supplement",
published by SunSoft.  This primarily describes how PowerPC images are held
in ELF files.  I have both of these plus some additional helper docs in PDF
format which I use for reference here, but I know they are also available on
the web somewhere and there are probably some more up-to-date versions.
(Mine were released in 1994).

I can send them if needed...the copyrights don't prohibit redistribution...
however I seem to remember getting all of these from either IBM or
Motorola's PowerPC site so you may want to check there for newer versions
first.

Cheers,
-Charles