PowerPC assembly question

David Edelsohn dje at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jul 9 04:32:55 EST 1999

>>>>> Charles Lepple writes:

Charles> I've been poking around with some disassembled C code, and I'm wondering
Charles> if there is a source of documentation on register usage guidelines
Charles> (maybe an ABI? I'm just not used to this concept of passing arguments in
Charles> registers as opposed to the stack). Any help would be appreciated.

	All of this is defined in the appropriate ABI (AIX PowerOpen and
SVR4 PowerPC ABI).  The ABI specifies the uses of each register when
targeting code to the calling convention (argument passing, volatile and
non-volatile registers, etc.)

David