cc/gcc/egcs kernel compilation options?

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Thu Jul 8 03:03:17 EST 1999

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 10:49:57PM +0000, Barrie Spence wrote:

> As a PPC newbie, why do we need/use "-msoft-float"? Is this
> to handle some processor implementations that don't have
> floating-point hardware? (and if so, does it have any overhead
> on the 603/604/G3 Macs?). If it does have some cost, could it
> not be enabled in the same way as on Intel?
>
> Next question, is there any advantage to building a kernel
> with "-mcpu=604 -mtune=604"? (or whatever is most appropriate).

Floating point operations in the kernel are pretty rare, and thus do
not need to be optimized for speed; soft-float is thus acceptable.  The
advantage is that we don't need to save/restore the FPU registers and
state nearly as often.  And I do not know why x86 does not have this
issue.

Dan

|         dan at debian.org         |  |       dmj+ at andrew.cmu.edu      |