kernel args for video mode..

Tom Rini trini at disparity.net
Fri Jul 2 03:26:59 EST 1999

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Velasquez, Carlos wrote:

> So how do I specify it as kernel arguments? should I say:
> video=tt128mb8 , vmode = XX , cmode =YY  (where XX and YY are the resolution
> and bit depth respectively) or instead of commas, do I use semi-colons or
> colons or what?

video=imsttfb:vmode:XX,cmode:XX where vmode is one of the ones defined in
/usr/src/linux/include/video/macmodes.h, and cmode is 8/16/32.

> Also, do I uncheck the "Don't use Video driver" choice box? What happens if
> I keep it checked ? Finally, how (if possible) do I change video and color
> modes once I am already booted up? Can I do this on the fly?

You uncheck it once you have a video= line to give the kernel.  No Video
Driver over rides any video args you tell it.  You can change things on
the fly in the console with fbset (fbset -h) and in X you can change from
known resolutions with control-keypad- +/- (i think, been a while..)

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/