LinuxPPC R5 on PowerBook Series 1999

John Boswell john at www.system-x.com
Thu Jul 1 03:15:45 EST 1999

I've got it working on my new (bronze kb) 333 G3.  The biggest
problem I had was actually getting the installer to work.  I had
ftp'd all the files to a local machine, and burned a CD.  I put
things on the CD in what I thought were the correct places.  However,
throughout the install, I'd get a bunch of errors about "can't create
.../temp", etc.  Seems it was trying to write to the cd.

Anyway, I copied the whole cd to my MacOS partition on the PB (I had
reformatted the drive, and made the MacOS plain HFS, not HFS+).  The
X-based installer then completed the install without a hitch.  I only
installed the "defuault" options, plus "development" (so I could use
gcc).

I'm using the "Standard" kernel with BootX, no video driver, and no
ramdisk.  I told it the root device was hda8 (the Linux partition).
Works just fine; X loads, and I have it running at 1024x768 with
16+bit color.

There is a note on the Linuxppc.com page about the screen going black
- the fix is to touch the "Brightness" function key once, and the
screen comes alive.  I've never had that problem, though.

I've also successfully built and installed MySQL and Apache with PHP.
I can now give "live" demos to clients of web sites with dynamic
content - even if they don't have a 'net connection!  Cool.
Justifies the time spent installing this.

Ethernet doesn't work, but this is a known issue with these PB's, and
the developers are working on that.

My only problem (besides ethernet) is the flaky trackpad support.  It
will often think I've double-clicked or have clicked-and dragged when
I haven't.  I'll sometimes have to click the trackpad repeatedly to
get control back.

USB support - doesn't seem to work.  My USB mouse (from my B+W G3)
works flawlessly under MacOS on this PB, but doesn't work at all
under Linux.

I made the mistake of having a USB Zip drive connected under Linux.
It doesn't like that, and the load on the machine goes way up, as it
continuously tries to read the zip drive (I didn't have a zip disk
in).  Unplugging the Zip disk and rebooting fixed that.

All in all, once Ethernet is working, and if I can fix the trackpad
flakeyness, this will be very nice.

-john