kswapd and SMP still broke on 2.2.0-pre9

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Sat Jan 23 16:54:16 EST 1999

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at drgw.net> wrote:
>
> > kswapd is still dieing on boot with SMP enabled (and this time the second
> > processor is actually active)
> >
> > Does this indicate something is wrong with SMP and the MM code, or that
> > some PPC-specific part needs fixing? I've tried to keep up on
> > linux-kernel, but it's a little overwhelming ;)
>
> The SMP stuff in Linux/PPC currently only supports the Apple MP
> architecture (I think they call it "powersurge").  Your MTX board
> probably has entirely different ways of coordinating the CPUs.  Have
> you looked at arch/ppc/kernel/smp.c?  I think that's where you'd have
> to start changing things.

This is true, and I need to finish stuff in smp.c, but the same crash
occured from 2.2.0-pre5 on, without the second CPU being active. Patching
the kswapd portion of back to 2.2.0-pre4 fixed this.. Look for a message
in the archives from Ryan Nielson, I believe.

Can anyone verify 2.2.0-pre9 works on a SMP Pmac? (or for that matter,
vger.. if vger works I can figure out what changed)