kswapd and SMP still broke on 2.2.0-pre9

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 23 13:59:03 EST 1999

Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at drgw.net> wrote:

> kswapd is still dieing on boot with SMP enabled (and this time the second
> processor is actually active)
>
> Does this indicate something is wrong with SMP and the MM code, or that
> some PPC-specific part needs fixing? I've tried to keep up on
> linux-kernel, but it's a little overwhelming ;)

The SMP stuff in Linux/PPC currently only supports the Apple MP
architecture (I think they call it "powersurge").  Your MTX board
probably has entirely different ways of coordinating the CPUs.  Have
you looked at arch/ppc/kernel/smp.c?  I think that's where you'd have
to start changing things.

Paul.