15 partitions max prob revisited

Keith Jacob kjacob at wantree.com.au
Wed Jan 20 02:00:04 EST 1999

When I first tried to install R4 (on a 7200/75) I ran into the prob of
having too many partitions on my HD. Since I only use HFS (not HFS+), I
partitioned my new 4GB drive into 8 Mac partitions (==max allowed by
Drive Setup) totalling 2GB, and left the last 2GB for Linux. However,
Linux would only allow me another 3 ext2 partitions, totalling 15 all up
(4 Mac driver/patch &c., 8 HFS, and 3 ext2).

So the question is: can I add more devices (e.g. sdb16, sdb17, ...), or
do I need to "reclaim" some HFS partitions if I want more ext2 ones? BTW,
it was the installer that choked on the extra partitions I had created,
so I would need to know how to fix that as well (if possible).

I'm sure this is not a Powermac/Linux prob, per se, but perhaps others
have had this problem and found a neat fix for it (although HFS+ is not a
solution for me until the Mac HFS+ disk tools improve).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Keith Jacob
kjacob at wantree.com.au