Apple's cdrom driver & non Apple CDROM drives

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Fri Jan 15 04:31:04 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:00:22, Alexandre MARTINS MELO <martins1 at col.bsf.alcatel.fr>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know what CDROM drive models & constructors are supported
> by the apple cdrom driver ?
> I have a PM7200/75 and a Nec CDR222. Since I formatted my HD in HFS+, the
> cdrom driver seems to have problems with its cache file. It works, but
> very, very slowly.
>
> With LinuxPPC, there's no problem, but I would like to play a bit with
> Lara Croft...
somewhat off topic, really, but look at the recent (or, meanwhile, perhaps
'previous') news section at macintouch for two links describing a patch to
the apple cdrom and dvd drivers to make them work with non-apple drives.
One is at c't magazine:
	http://www.heise.de/ct/english/98/26/188/
the other one improves a bit on this in that it supports both apple and non-
apple drives with the same driver, but I don't have it at hand right now.

Hope this helps,
							Derek

--
Derek Homeier                                           Tel: +49-431-880-4103
Institut fuer Theoretische Physik und Astrophysik       Fax: +49-431-880-4100
D-24098 Kiel, Germany		      email:  homeier at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de