Crash when early load of cs4236 module

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at thomas.kotnet.org
Thu Jan 14 09:15:04 EST 1999

To make my sound module load automatically at boot time, I put

    cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=5

in /etc/modules (I'm using Debian `sid' on a CHRP box with cs4236 sound).
This works fine, except that I get a kernel crash later when the boot
scripts are initializing the network daemons:

    NIP: cc831bb0
    bad access address: 0000ac44
    backtrace: cc8319b0      ???
               cc8303dc      ???
               c003438c      (c0034154 T sys_ioctl)
               c0003898      (c0003898 T syscall_ret_1)
               <garbage>

It happens in both 2.2.0pre6 and 2.2.0pre4 and is reproducible (I hate
file system checks on 2 GB partitions on slow disks :-(.

If I remove the cs4232 line from /etc/modules again and load the module by
hand later

    modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=5

I have no problems at all. Really weird...

Greetings,

						Geert

Geert Uytterhoeven                   Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Linux/m68k on Amiga, Wavelets        http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/
KotNET at Thomas Network Administration -- Make you bed part of Cyberspace!!