Porting to NuBus PowerMacs

Kaoru Fukui k_fukui at highway.ne.jp
Thu Jan 14 00:57:41 EST 1999

> bh40 at calva.net>
> Subject: Re: Porting to NuBus PowerMacs
> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:40:11 -0700
> CC: linuxppc-dev at lists.linuxppc.org,Hubert Figuiere <Hubert.Figuiere at solsoft.fr

> I know you guys are only in the early stages with this but I have a 6100
> that I will run anything you come up with on.. I don't have mklinux on it
> right now but I could get that on it and be a guinea pig if you need one..
>
> Ron Nelson

       ---------------------------
         Rawhide world on MklinuxG06
        ---------------------------

 Let's go "Rawhide world" using the vmlinux+installer like DR3,
    together Nubus users too.

   This vmlinux+installer is useful linuxppc/R5 in linuxppc box,too.

   There is <ftp://ppc.linux/pub/users/fukui/Drugstore-in Rawhide
          /Installer-on-MkLinux-G06R5>.

                                  Kaoru Fukui <fukui at ppc.linux.or.jp>
                                  Sun 10 Jan 1999

  ** How to install as MkLinux**

 1. Download many RedHat/RPMS files from
             ftp://ftp.linux.org/pub/linuxppc/linuxppc-pre-R5/RedHat/RPMS.
     Not use for linuxppc files.
     (kernel-pmac,kernel-prep,kernel-source,kernel-chrp,pmac-utils,linuxconf
)

     Put RPMS files on ext2.

     Remove filenames for linuxppc in comps,
      or use Installer-on-MkLinuxG06R5/RedHat/base/comps,it's alredy rewrite
.
    Download RedHat/base/hdlist and put it in RedHat/base.

 2. Download these files from
       ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/pub/users/fukui/Drugstore-in-Rawhide/Installer-on-MkLinux-G06R5
/*.
     Add four files from Installer-on-MkLinux-G06R5/RedHat/RPMS/*
     to Redhat/RPMS installed.
     (clock-mklinux,mklinux-release,mklinux_server,rc.loca-linuxppc)

     Add these filenames in comps,or use My comps.

 3. Uncompress Mac_Files.sit, put in MacOS.
 4. Put mach_servers in MacOs.
 5. Go restart Mac.

 [note]
   I istalled R5 useing these files on PM6100.
   Then Select custom,Scsi driver is no,Disk Setup,use fdisk,
   Edit Partition is "/",
   Do link for startx function," cd /etc/X11,ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac X"

 [Problem]
   The comps has many bugs.Take care.

   Xfree86-3.3.3-10d.ppc.rpm could not nomeal end.
   It,s works fine, but hitkey "ctrl D" to go freeze.
   I used to end "sync,reboot","sync,halt".

   More problem, it's not X_LOCAE, Xemacs doesnot work.

 Mac_Files.sit have "Mach kernel" from globegate.utm.edu/MkLinux generic 06.
 The other fuiles are same.

>Installing the Mac OS-side files
>================================

>There are five files in the "Mac Files" folder.  Copy the two files "MkLinux

>Booter" and "Mach Kernel" to your Extensions folder.  Copy the control panel

>"MkLinux" to your Control Panels folder.  Copy the two files "lilo.conf" and

>"MkLinux.prefs" to your Preferences folder.

>The initial boot of MkLinux just runs the installer.  Currently, things are

 Vmlinux+installer was rebuilt using "Mklinux generic 06" and
   "Linuxppc release 5's installer".

 I got ramdisk.image.gz-RH5-new from Martin's
      <http://www.maths.univ-rennes1.fr/~costabel/linux/R5/>,
 it's have not /dev/* and not /mnt.
 Installer said "can not mount".
 I fixed that. Thanks Martin.