semaphore-helper.h

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 25 18:18:26 EST 1999

nsheeley at austin.rr.com wrote:

> I just checked out the current CVS from
>
> :pserver:cvs at cvs.samba.org:/cvsroot
>
> All seems well until I try to do a make:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/local/src/CVS_kernel/linux/kernel'
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/local/src/CVS_kernel/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__powerpc__ -fsigned-char -msoft-float -pipe -fno-builtin -ffixed-r2 -Wno-uninitialized -mmultiple -mstring   -fno-omit-frame-pointer -c -o sched.o sched.c
> sched.c:39: asm/semaphore-helper.h: No such file or directory

You don't get the __down_trylock error in ksyms.c? Did they already
start repairing the 2.2.2 bug?

> Hmm.. only three arch's asm-includes have semaphore-helper.h
> (i386, sparc, sparc64), but its not ifdef'ed in any way in
> sched.c
>
> So my question are:
>
>         a.  Should I expect to be able to CVS checkout and
>             make a working kernel?  I am wondering about the stability
>             of the tree -- what's my percent chance that I won't have
>             to debug anything?

In principle, it should work. But there are always bugs possible. And
then there are guys with a weird sense of humour, in this case Linus
Himself. Read
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/199902/msg01298.html

>         b.  If yes to a., does anyone have a patch for the above problem.

Check out ("cvs update") kernel/ksyms.c -r1.107 and kernel/sched.c
-r1.124.

--
Martin