egcs-1.1.1-1c bug (was Re: major ksyms problem)

Gary Thomas gdt at linuxppc.org
Wed Feb 24 20:53:16 EST 1999

On 23-Feb-99 Franz Sirl wrote:

> Am Tue, 23 Feb 1999 schrieb Tom Vier:

>>> What makes you think that it is an egcs bug? I have no problems on 601
>>> (7200/75) with any of the modules you listed. Are you sure you have the
>>> latest modutils (2.1.121 or later) installed?
>>
>>it is an egcs bug. egcs-1.1.1-1c failss to build working bsd_comp.o,
>>ppp_deflate.o, and hfs.o; egcs-1.0-2e.ppc.rpm builds it perfectly. i'm
>>getting a newer build of egcs right now, to see if it's fixed.
>
> What is the problem with these modules? Give a better description on what you
> mean with "working"? They work perfectly for me with a self-compiled 2.2.1
> kernel, and I compiled working modules with multiple kernel versions since the
> egcs-1.1 alpha phase.
> If your only problem is the "unhandled relocation type", install a newer
> modutils package (>=2.1.121), that will fix it.

Sadly he can't use that modutils package as it's only for 2.1.xx and 2.2.xx
kernels.

Tom,  Can you try the 2.2.xx kernels and see if they work for you?  This would
be a much better way to spend your time rather than looking after a quite old
kernel.

Gary Thomas                              |
email: gdt at linuxppc.org                  | "Fine wine is a necessity of
   ... opinions expressed here are mine  |        life for me"
       and no one else would claim them! |