PowerPC Beowulf Who?

Robert G. Werner rwerner at lx1.microbsys.com
Wed Feb 24 10:22:13 EST 1999

I'm pretty new to Beowulf myself but I haven't ran across any groups
specifically oriented toward supporting PPC.

As in regards to the General Beowulf:
Turnkey systems for Beowulf are still a new phenomenon.  Most of the famous
clusters I've ever heard of were hand built.
I've heard of some companies (don't remember names) that will sell turnkey
systems but I'm assuming those are IA32 or Aplha.
What exactly do you mean by SW revision support?

On the PPC:
IIRC Firewire isn't even working under LinuxPPC as a regular interface yet.
Looking into using it for networking in a Beowulf cluster is a bit
premature IMHO.  Is there even any commercial HW for this?
I really do have a hunch that once you can get Firewire,  say,  to work with
Linux on PPC,  then it will be trivial to make it work with the clustering
libs.

Check out the Linux Paralale-HOWTO
(at http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Parallel-Processing-HOWTO-2.html)
for some information on who is developing the non-ethernet networking
technologies for clustering.  Perdue is big in this field,  IIRC.  They have
a nice technique using the paralale port for networking even(PAPERS).
As far as I know,  all of these are great questions but Beowulf clustering
technology is still experimental enough that many of your questions haven't
been completely answered for IA32 and Alpha let alone PPC.
Again,  I'm not an expert.  Just an enthusiastic beginer like yourself.

BTW,  what applications are you looking to use your cluster for?  Do you have a
specific task in mind or are you just looking to make sure that LinuxPPC can do
clusters too?

Robert G. Werner
rwerner at lx1.microbsys.com
Impeach Conggress!!

"Just think, with VLSI we can have 100 ENIACS on a chip!"
-- Alan Perlis

 system? If Myrinet, then where are the LinuxPPC or YDL drivers?  Myrinet lists Alpha Linux and x86 Linux but NOT PPC Linux (http://www.myri.com:80/GM/).