Restructuring Efforts

Jesper Skov jskov at cygnus.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 19:44:36 EST 1999

>>>>> "Gabriel" == Gabriel Paubert <paubert at iram.es> writes:
Gabriel> I had the impression that the APUS I/O accesses had to use
Gabriel> non byte swapped instruction, so that merging the APUS with
Gabriel> the other would be hard. Is there something I missed ?

True, APUS doesn't require byte swapping. But I don't see how this
makes it hard to integrate APUS.

Gabriel> I don't want the kernel to execute conditional code or to
Gabriel> call a subroutine for every I/O access, this is bloat and/or
Gabriel> inefficiency for the sake of it.

This is a valid concern. I don't know if it's possible to do anything
about this.

It may be the case that none of the Amiga drivers use the same IO
macros as other drivers use. As I remember it, there are two set of
macros. But it's a long time since I looked at that, I could be wrong.

Jesper