Restructuring Efforts

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Wed Feb 17 23:19:31 EST 1999

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Cort Dougan wrote:

> Not quite.  Just chrp/prep/pmac (and soon apus I hope).  I want a single
> kernel for the desktop to avoid recompiles when testing out kernels.  Ram
> isn't a big deal on these machines (a few K for a generic kernel isn't a
> big deal anyway).  The performance loss is negligible as well (it can be
> improved though).  Other boards (especially embedded) can't do this - it
> would be insane :)  Those will be compiled specifically for the target
> architecture.

I had the impression that the APUS I/O accesses had to use non byte
swapped instruction, so that merging the APUS with the other would be
hard. Is there something I missed ?

I don't want the kernel to execute conditional code or to call a
subroutine for every I/O access, this is bloat and/or inefficiency for
the sake of it.

	Gabriel.