bootstrap stuffs

David Edelsohn dje at watson.ibm.com
Tue Feb 16 04:57:34 EST 1999

Benjamin> On Sun, Feb 14, 1999, David Edelsohn <dje at watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>> For correctness, "sync" must be used, but for best performance,
>> "sync" should be used sparingly, only when necessary.

Benjamin> Ok thanks. In this specific case (jump to bootstrap), I don't really care
Benjamin> about the performance loss introduced by a sync, I'll keep one just after
Benjamin> the mtmsr to make sure that the interrupt switch is fully done before I
Benjamin> hack with srr0 and the MMU.

	"isync" is used to discard instruction pre-fetch and ensure that
all previous instructions have occurred.  isync is not necessary for your
situation either.

	As Gabriel correctly explained, a "sync" instruction may be
necessary before interrupts are enabled if some off-chip operation, like
modifying an interrupt controller on the bus, was performed.  That is
because of the bus operations which need to complete before interrupts can
be enabled, not because of the enabling itself.

David