PPC Cache Flush and Invalidate Routines

Dan Malek dmalek at jlc.net
Thu Dec 9 11:12:01 EST 1999

Grant Erickson wrote:

> In trying to accomodate the 4xx-based code into the Linux kernel, I've
> encountered an issue which relates to the cache flushing and invalidation
> routines in misc.S.

> Thoughts, opinions?

We could simply create a configuration #define for the cache line size
that is assigned in the 'make config' scripts when the processor type
is chosen.

A further, and more challenging, problem arises in the library
relocation functions.  When writing instructions to memory, the data
caches have to be pushed, instruction caches invalidated, and the
functions assume a 32 byte cache line.  This doesn't work well on the
16 byte line processors.  We discussed this a long time ago without
resolution.  The old C libraries on the ppc.kernel.org server that I
built for the 8xx have this corrected.

	-- Dan