PPC Compiler Problem?

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Thu Dec 2 03:32:39 EST 1999

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Alois Fertl wrote:

> Given the following lines of C, I'd expect that the 4th argument
> is placed into register 6 and 7. As the assembler listing tells,
> register 6 is omitted and the argument goes into r7/r8.

No, that's normal but it has been fluctuating and I clearly remember a
version of gcc in which the caller and the callee did not agree in this
case...

The standard now is that 8 byte int parameters are "naturally" aligned
(for example when stored in a vararg list) which imposes occasional
skipping of a register (and makes the alignment requirement
counterintuitive since the first parameter register has an odd number)...

	Regards,
	Gabriel.