GLIBC wont compile for MPC860

Scott Wood scott at broadlink.com
Tue Aug 31 04:26:27 EST 1999

Brendan Simon wrote:

> I am using egcs-1.1.2 powerpc-linux cross-compiler to compile
> glibc-2.1.1.  The whole thing compiles fine (gee, doesn't it take a
> while).

> I tried compiling for the MPC860 with the following command "make
> CFLAGS=-mcpu=860".  It got a little way but then died.  I think it is
> trying to do something with floating point.

The MPC8xx have no floating point, so it should be compiled with -msoft-float,
(I think)...  ./configure --without-fp  will do it.

> Is glibc known to compile for this processor ?
> I'm pretty sure I need the -mcpu=860 option so that only mpc860 valid
> instructions are generated.  Is this correct ?

I have tried this both with the egcs cross-compiler and with egcs on an
MPC750 and I have recieved 'internal compiler error' both times, but I'm trying
again.

> I don't have the error message at hand but will post it if it will help.
>
> What can I do to compile glibc for the MPC860 processor.

I would also like to know how to sucessfully build glibc for the MPC850.