BootX enhancement request

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 14:26:06 EST 1999

Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> Thus I can remove the nvram code from atyfb?

Well, what's there doesn't seem to be much use.  OTOH, we really do
need something to make it less likely that a newbie will be confronted
by a blank screen because they forgot to put "video=atyfb:vmode:17" in
their kernel command line.  Maybe it should look at the registers and
see if the chip is already running, and if so, just use whatever
timings the chip is currently set to (as long as they look sane).  Or
maybe there needs to be some intelligence somewhere that looks at the
`compatible' property on the device-tree root node and says "aha, an
iMac, default to 1024x768 at 75Hz".

I see that there properties called "ATY,DefaultMode" and
"ATY,DisplayMode" on the device-tree node for the ATI chip on my G3
desktop.  They both have the value 30 (0x1e).  I don't know what mode
30 is.

Paul.